Thursday, October 4, 2012

Knitting in Public and Nerd Girl Yarns

I had the strangest experience a few weeks ago. Like a good knitter, I had my KIP (knitting in public) project in my bag as I entered a waiting room. Lo and behold: there was a girl, about 24, KNITTING. I encounter knitters a few times a year, and they generally want to chat. Nothing but hostility and defensiveness radiated from this girl. She knitted along with her orange novelty yarn on knitpicks harmony circs. I was afraid to get out my knitting at this point, she was getting a lot of attention! Finally, after half an hour I cautiously took out my knitting, of course it had to be a lace project! The attention transferred, those that were still interested anyway. I got quite a dirty look from the knitting girl, but she was soon called back and everyone quieted down.

Why is it that some knitters hold themselves above others? I guess it is a human trait, though the rift between knitting and crochet is one I just don't understand. Both crafts have pros and cons, times when one is better, or the other. Knitting does not reign supreme!


 With that being said, I have to announce a new project! I received an amazing skein from Christa at Nerd Girl Yarns, if you will recall from an earlier post. Here is a photo of the color way in case you missed it! This is The Wedding Job, and I have a skein of Exquisite lace weight, which is baby alpaca and silk. Let me tell ya, this is the nicest yarn I've used for crochet, and I am seriously enjoying it. Lace, a B hook, and determination will soon yield a beautiful shawl and pattern! Stay tuned for updates.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for your comment!