Friday, December 14, 2012

Creativity Series: Renewal

Yesterday, I was invited to photograph a fashion model in downtown Austin, TX by a photog friend. We had a great time talking and laughing, and of course-taking great pictures. For the first time in a while, I feel like I pushed my self creatively with photography, and I pushed my camera/lens to the fullest. I got some great pics, as did my other photog cohort. I couldn't wait to get home and see the photos.
Photographer: Whitney Christmas, Model: Katy Clark, Austin, Texas 

As far as the ratio of great photos to the whole, I wish I had done better. I had a little issue with lighting and needed more light in most photos. But I did get some really great shots.

There is something that happens when you push creatively for a day or more. When you devote a day to your art medium, with artistic friends and in an inspiring location. A sense of renewal always hits me, and I am so happy and feel relaxed and creative. I want the creative process to continue as long as possible, prolonging the good vibes. Its the same feeling I get going to conventions or museums, only better. This feeling is why I create art with others. So we can share in something greater, a sense of community, and even perhaps contributing to the greater good of art.

When asked what I am professionally, the answer is always "Artist." Art is the mark of civilization and grandeur, excess and frivolity. But it is as essential to my soul as breathing is to my body. That creative renewal of purpose, setting goals and reaching them, is what its all about, and I believe as universal a feeling as "happiness" or "fear."

Photographer: Whitney Christmas, Model: Katy Clark, Austin, Texas

People can reach this feeling through other means, and this feeling is what I call "following your passion/bliss." But, too often we get caught up in the day to day work, even if it is art, and forget to play. Don't do this. Play. Go out. Try something new. And then come back here and share your success.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for your comment!