Wednesday, January 4, 2012

Drawing has always intimidated me, and I'm not quite sure why. Perhaps I yearn for the precision of drafting but have the hands for more abstract work. The fact that the medium can span so much is part of its lure.

I will refine my drawing skills this year. Pen, pencil, pen and ink, brush, charcoal, graphite, wire... let there be no bounds to the tool used. I am going to do this using a dual pronged approach. Daily drawings and weekly drawings. The daily drawings will start out as gesture, contour, and blind contour drawings-exploring light and relationships in expressing 3D space on a 2D page. The weekly drawing will be more intensive, on nicer paper, and reflect the results of the exploration of the daily drawings. Some weeks may also be more abstract drawing, but realism is the focus this year. I never thought I'd say that! The source material will be from either life, or my own photographs. I will start the year working with objects and architecture, move into figure drawing, and finish off with portraiture. This will give a broad understanding of different types of drawing. My art teachers would be proud!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for your comment!