Wednesday, September 26, 2012

Creativity Series: Don't be Deterred, Planning

It seems like a simple enough concept, to do what you desire with your art. Unfortunately, most artists can tell you this is not how it always happens. Sometimes the hang-up is in the planning/logistic stages, sometimes it is in the execution/skills needed, and sometimes any art just flat does not have the effect intended by the artist!

Planning:
We all know the woes of this planning stage. What supplies and time will come from where and when?

I would say, this is the most frequent time at which a piece is abandoned. We may not even realize we're doing it. The thought process goes something like this, "Oh I would love to make XYZ." And quickly follows, "I can't because a)I don't have time, b) I don't have supplies, or c) I don't have the money." Time and money, isn't that what it always boils down to?

My advise on time-create daily. Make progress on something daily. I know that is sometimes the most difficult part of living creatively-actually making it a part of your life, as opposed to just an idea. Some people work best with setting a time to create daily-say just after the kids are in bed-some people create an area in which to work and go to it as he or she is able-a studio small or large, and others, create a daily date for themselves, with a time and place pre-planned.

Supplies are another challenge. Organize them. Label the bins. Put project sets together of consumables, and keep tools of each kind in a given place. I find that keeping, say, my knitting needles together, all sizes and sets, and then having various project bags going. Usually I keep the needles with an "active" project, but remove them for something "in hibernation" or that will be undone. If you don't like a piece, and can't rework it, then get rid of it! I have trouble getting rid of finished-but-unloved art.

Financial Aspects: Money is a huge challenge to me. Budgeting is not my friend, to say the least. And due to this I disregard new ideas out of hand without really investigating the financial cost of the supplies. Don't do this! If there is an idea you have, look at the supply costs, see if the cost can be spread over a period of time (or if you can make something else to buy the supplies :) Often, when I make an effort to do this, I am not disappointed, I can find a way to work it out.

Having the where, when, and how of making art come together, is an art in and of itself.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for your comment!