Wednesday, February 29, 2012

Creativity Series: Making a Plan

Making a plan is generally my next step in the creative process. This comes before gathering materials, unless, of course, my schema has the rule, "no new materials." which I frequently do. But not frequently enough.

I think through the project from start to finish, often mapping ideas in my sketchbook and keeping a running materials list as I progress through each step. At times, this includes a budget for the materials, where to get them, when to order, etc etc.

My current project is getting the knitting needles up on etsy.com. I have listed my materials and budget, and look forward to ordering materials on Friday. The only thing not as yet decided is the type of adhesive I want to use.

The planning stage is essential for the project to go well. Yes, surprises happen and on visual art projects I often allow the actual art making process to take a life of its own. My knitting projects, however, are frequently fully planned before I pick up a pair of needles. Pattern written and all. It makes it so much easier to stitch, quicker overall, and allows for the logic of the piece to make sense so frogging is not necessary.

Speaking of frogging, the previously mentioned wingspan in knit picks yarn is in the frog pond. Now, I've started it again in some hand dyed laceweight on size 4 needles. It is going really well.

I look forward to unveiling the new knitting needle project. It will be fabulous!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for your comment!