Friday, November 16, 2012

Where do the lines blur between work and play?

I love to knit. Really. Don't get me wrong, I love to knit. And sew, and sculpt, and bead, and crochet, and... and... and...

I am in the middle of a knitting project now-a design for a magazine-that has a mid-December deadline. And of course, after focusing on my knitting for months, I don't feel like knitting! I have been playing with polymer clay, so much fun. And this morning I made wire earrings, too fun. Knitting. Knitting in the round in stockinette... For miles.. Is not that fun.

I think all of us who do what we love, especially if its multiple media, find times where its just impossible to concentrate. Its a universal fact-when you have to do something, you want to do other. So how can we manage the fidgets and get on with it?

I get up very early in the morning, and find I am the most focused in the wee hours. Therefore, most mornings, I knit. Especially design work-the math and things come together great when I've just woken up at 4 am. If I try to do the same work say, around 4pm, it just isn't going to work. I get more creative toward mid morning (11am) and try to follow that trend as well. Sketching, clay play, etc, have been coming around then. I'm tired after all that, so anything for the rest of the day is something like... stockinette in the round for miles. Requires no thought. I'll turn on a movie and go to town.

It is key to figure out when you're at your best-for a particular task-and follow that muse. It has helped me get routines going for most of the day. Instead of fighting the trends, like trying to do math at 4pm, I go with them. This makes the work more fun and the play more fun. Try it!

When are you at your best for logic work? For creative?


No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for your comment!